— Canada Soccer (@CanadaSoccerEN) April 10, 2017
The United States, Mexico, and Canada have filed a joint bid to co-host the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
If approved, the North American powerhouses would be the first three-way host for the planet’s biggest sporting event. The last time countries teamed up for the World Cup was in 2002 when Japan and South Korea both played host.
The tournament would primarily take place in the United States with 60 games slated in the States. Mexico and Canada would each host another 10 matches.
“This is a milestone day for U.S. Soccer and for CONCACAF,” US Soccer president Sunil Gulati said during the announcement event in New York. “We gave careful consideration to the prospect of bidding for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, and ultimately feel strongly this is the right thing for our region and for our sport. Along with our partners from the Canadian Soccer Association and the Federación Mexicana de Fútbol, we are confident that we will submit an exemplary bid worthy of bringing the FIFA World Cup back to North America. The United States, Mexico and Canada have individually demonstrated their exceptional abilities to host world-class events.
Gulati added that President Donald Trump is in favor of the joint bid.
— Sunil Gulati (@sunilgulati) April 10, 2017
Trump’s approval may not be the point. As TSL previously reported, Trump’s approach to international politics, particularly its relations with Mexico, could keep the all-North-American event from even happening.
As far as soccer officials from the continent are concerned, the three-way bid is a strong showing of unity from the nations. Mexican soccer president Decio de Maria is excited about the prospect of an historic hosting.
“For the Federación Mexicana de Fútbol, and the entire Mexican soccer family, it is a source of pride to be candidates, along with the United States and Canada, to host the FIFA World Cup in 2026,” Maria said. “We have a unique opportunity to be the first country to host three World Cups.